Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Fri Jul 10 08:17:53 UTC 2009

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 23:30 +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

>> Because I have a couple of FC5 servers, and I could upgrade through
>> the odd releases 5->7->9->11.
>
> It should be rather straightforward to upgrade them to CentOS 5.3, you
> should be able to do it with yum. If they're 64-bit boxes you may have
> to remove some .i386 packages before the transaction goes through.

It is a little puzzling that when someone asks on a fedora ML how to
upgrade Fedora, the answer is often "upgrade to CentOS instead".
Apart from the dangerous reinforcement of the "Fedora is not for
real stuff" myth, I wonder why CentOS (or RHEL), which are based
on Fedora can upgrade Fedora->CentOS when Fedora can not
guarantee Fedora->Fedora.
I mean, if there are scripts to convert inittab to upstart, etc.,
they take life in Fedora and then are included in RHEL, right?

Another thing I'm not convinced about is the DVD or yum
upgrade choice.
Once upon a time, the DVD (the CD) was the way.
Not anymore; there are proposal about removing the DVD upgrade
option.
So... let's use yum. But it "can't do everything anaconda can",
so this is "at your risk" too.
Are we going the path to an unupgradable Fedora?

In my specific case, I want to remain on Fedora as it is more
familiar and more complete than CentOS.
(and yes, the machines are 64 bit)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it