Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 10 18:08:22 UTC 2009

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Jussi Lehtola wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 23:30 +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>>> Because I have a couple of FC5 servers, and I could upgrade through
>>> the odd releases 5->7->9->11.
>> It should be rather straightforward to upgrade them to CentOS 5.3, you
>> should be able to do it with yum. If they're 64-bit boxes you may have
>> to remove some .i386 packages before the transaction goes through.
>
> It is a little puzzling that when someone asks on a fedora ML how to
> upgrade Fedora, the answer is often "upgrade to CentOS instead".

When the real question is how to get a stable machine to a more modern feature
set, the answer is often CentOS. Fedora is better at being latest and greatest,
and overall stability (ie. doesn't fall dead after updates) has improved. But it
is not going to be as stable as CentOS, nor is it intended to be. If 'latest' is
not required but 'newer' is, then that's the best advice to give.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>