kvm/qemu network problem

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 10 20:24:14 UTC 2009

Bret wrote:
> I set up a windows xp virtual machine.  Windows recognizes the nic and
> set up a driver for it, however it will not get an ip address from my
> router.  I set up win xp before and everything worked, however, I
> deleted the vm a while back ago and now need it back.  (Guess I
> shouldn't have gotten rid of it)  Anyway, all I get is the win generated
> ip address 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and cannot connect to the internet.

Question one: are you really running kvm (as in command line) or are you using
virt-manager or similar and hoping they know how to do what you want.

Makes a vast difference in who can help you.

You presumably don't want to run XP as a server, so any of the NAT default
solutions should work.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>