nvidia and "Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig"

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Fri Jul 10 20:49:28 UTC 2009

To answer my own question, we finally pinned this issue
down to the inappropriate use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a
set of user accounts which was causing the wrong GL
libraries to be used with the nvidia drivers. It is
interesting that one gets the error...

Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

when running 64-bit software but this error is
suppressed when running 32-bit software under
x86_64 Fedora 10 with the nvidia drivers. In the
32-bit case, the software runs using software
rendering.
                 Jack