cups configuration

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 11 14:28:16 UTC 2009

François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I want to configure cups on laptops so that people could add any printer
> they want, and choose the default printer they want too.
>
> I don't want to give them the root password.
>
> What is possible, using the web interface, is to allow anybody to remove
> tasks, even if they are not the owner of the task.
>
> I want also that these permissions to add and choose the default
> printer, will be be limited to the laptop only, I mean: if the laptop is
> connected to a network, I don't want that these persmissions could be
> automatically extended to any other cups server on the network.
>
> Is this possible? And how?

It is already possible for each user to select their own default
printer. In Gnome, it is System --> Preferences --> Hardware -->
Default Printer.

As far as giving permission to add/remove/change printers, you can
add the user to the system group. This will basically give full
access. Or you can add them to /etc/cups/cups.conf in the "Require
user" section of the desired access.

Mikkel