Samba configuration

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 11 14:36:15 UTC 2009

alan duval wrote:
> I have been reading the Samba HowTo to figure out how to configure it so
> that a guest OS in VirtualBox can use the printer. The article gives the
> following example for the configuration file:
>

> Example 2.3.3 Anonymous Print Server smb.conf
>
> # Global parameters
>   [ global ]
>            workgroup = MIDEARTH
>            netbios name = LUTHIEN
>            security = share
>            printcap name = cups
>            disable spoolss = Yes
>            show add printer wizard = No
>            printing = cups
>   [ printers ]
>            comment = All Printers
>            path = / var / spool /samba
>            guest ok = Yes
>            printable = Yes
>            use client driver = Yes
>            browseable = No
>

> My question:	What should I change "MIDEARTH" to?
> As I log on to Fedora as alan should I change it to alan?
> Or should it be the name of a workgroup in my WIN XP virtual OS?
>
> Where does one get the netbios name from to enter in the script,
> bearing in mind that this is a standalone computer which a virtual OS
> wants to print to?
>

> Regards,
>
> Alan Duval

First, you should be able to use the stock Samba configuration file
- you may have to uncomment the "gest ok = no" on the printer
section and change it to yes.

Second, change MIDEARTH to what ever workgroup name your are using
with the guests. I believe the default is WORKGROUP.

Thisr, change LUTHIEN to what ever name you want this computer to
show up as when browsing the network. I usually take the hostname of
the computer. If the full name is name.system.com then call the
computer NAME.

Mikkel