How do I switch mirror for rpmfusion?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 17:51:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM, <gilpel at altern.org> wrote:
> Jussi Lehtola wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 01:10 -0400, gilpel at altern.org wrote:
>>> I'm still having problems downloading from liberty.edu . Ex, installing
> kdenlive:
>>
>> Check that you have the mirrorlist enabled in
>> the /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion*.repo files and install
>> yum-fastestmirror.
>
> You and Leo provide together a very complete answer, but yours would be
> the easiest for newbies, mainly that once installed yum-fastestmirror is
> enabled by default in
>
> less /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf
>
> [main]
> enabled=1
> verbose=0
> always_print_best_host = true
> socket_timeout=3
> hostfilepath=/var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
> maxhostfileage=10
> maxthreads=15
>
> Why isn't this the default?

>From http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SoftwareManagementGuide/CustomizingYum#Fastest_Mirror_Plugin

" Fastest Mirror Plugin

Yum in Fedora uses a dynamic server side mirror management
infrastructure that distributes the bandwidth consumptions on each of
these mirrors by automatically directing the update to one of the
geographically closest mirrors. This mirror is automatically checked
against the master server for consistency.

The fastest mirror plugin enhances the speed of updates by maintaining
a local offline hostfile cache of the speed of the mirrors. It sorts
the mirror list by speed and prioritizes the faster ones for package
downloads. This plugin is not installed by default. For installing it,
use the following command or from the Applications menu use Add/Remove
Software".

Let us know if liberty.edu is picked by fastestmirror. I'm betting
that it  does. (There are only 21 public mirrors listed for rpmfusion
and mirrors.liberty.edu is the fastest and closest geographically to
you.)