Triple boot windows, fedora, and rawhide

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Sat Jul 11 20:14:23 UTC 2009

I dual boot windows and fedora a normal basis and have no problems with
it getting setup.  What I would like to do now, is to setup a triple
boot as mentioned in subject line.  That can be one of two ways,
installing rawhide itself (problems lately and am watching for
installing to be fixed), or to install F11 and update to rawhide.

Now, I have never dual booted linuxes before, so this is the part I
don't understand how or what to do to get this right.  I tried this
morning doing this and sort of got it working, but few things I couldn't
figure out and have since resetup just dual boot windows and F11.

Sooooo, questions I would have to understand is this, and beware that I
already have space ready for install.  Anyway, what I guess I need to
know is...

1 - When going to install F11 (again) or rawhide, should either detect
my current windows/linux installs and ask to install grub and include
those stanzas?  (Neither detected the other, maybe still rewrite
problems for storage at this stage for this stuff?)

2 - Even if not detected how do I add the missing stanza and is it
basically same already ahve just with diff partitions and kernel
versions?

3 - Which grub is installed to mbr and is the other installed to the 1st
partition of it's install or what?  What should the mbr config and the
1st partitions look like?

4 - Should the two installs share /boot dirs so they can read the
kernels and auto update grub.conf when needed?  How does that work if
not?

P.S. I have been googling this (maybe I am wording it wrong) and not
getting real good info to explain my best course of action.  Am still
googling now to keep trying but am exhausting my efforts.

Thanks ahead of time,

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

Fedora Project - Bugzapper, Tester, User, etc..
miketc302 at fedoraproject.org