Triple boot windows, fedora, and rawhide

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sat Jul 11 20:42:18 UTC 2009

Mike Chambers wrote:

> 1 - When going to install F11 (again) or rawhide, should either detect
> my current windows/linux installs and ask to install grub and include
> those stanzas?  (Neither detected the other, maybe still rewrite
> problems for storage at this stage for this stuff?)
>
> 2 - Even if not detected how do I add the missing stanza and is it
> basically same already ahve just with diff partitions and kernel
> versions?
>
> 3 - Which grub is installed to mbr and is the other installed to the 1st
> partition of it's install or what?  What should the mbr config and the
> 1st partitions look like?
>
> 4 - Should the two installs share /boot dirs so they can read the
> kernels and auto update grub.conf when needed?  How does that work if
> not?

The way I've always handled "test" installs is to have their installers
put GRUB in their partition boot sectors.  Then in the primary
installation's grub.conf I have stanzas like:

     title rawhide on sda7
         root (hd0,6)
         chainloader +1

     title Test OS on sda8
         root (hd0,7)
         chainloader +1

Booting one of those gets you to a new GRUB with whatever menu the
installer put there.  This way the main grub.conf doesn't have to be
touched when something new gets installed or a kernel gets updated
on one of those partitions.

The only downside I've found is that preupgrade won't work on one
of those chainloaded partitions.  Not really a big deal once you
realize what the problem is.

                 Do NOT delete it.