Preupgrade F10 to F11: Installer boot fails in GRUB

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sat Jul 11 20:55:20 UTC 2009

Robert Nichols wrote:
> Running preupgrade in F10, all packages are downloaded successfully, and
> I click
> on the "Reboot now" button.  When the system reboots, I select the
> "Upgrade to
> Fedora 11 (Leonidas)" entry from the GRUB menu and get an immediate
> "Error 15:
> File not found" failure from GRUB.
>
> Everything is on one partition (no separate /boot partition).
>
> In /boot/grub/grub.conf:
>
>   default=1
>   timeout=10
>   splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>   #hiddenmenu
>   title Upgrade to Fedora 11 (Leonidas)
>     kernel /boot/upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade
> repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
> stage2=hd:UUID=d137c2a7-7913-42ed-87b0-6b3fac3ec768:/boot/upgrade/install.img

What appears to have caused the problem is that this isn't the primary
GRUB menu.  It's a separate GRUB installation reached by a chainloader
command in the main GRUB menu.  I don't know whether it's preupgrade
or anaconda that's at fault, but something ends up going to the wrong
partition and of course not finding the repository created by
preupgrade.  Unfortunately, re-creating the problem and trying to
pin down the exact cause would just take way more time than I can
justify for such an oddball case.

                 Do NOT delete it.