F11 (Thpd T30) : reproducible display loss

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sat Jul 11 21:02:25 UTC 2009

Beartooth wrote:

> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$ ssh -X 192.168.1.109
> btth at 192.168.1.109's password:
> Last login: Sun Jul  5 16:23:53 2009 from 192.168.1.102
> [btth at Thpd30 ~]$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/btth/.wine" wine
> "C:\Garmin\MapSource.exe"
> fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: pixel
> format conversion
> err:imagelist:IMAGELIST_InternalExpandBitmaps creating new image
> bitmap (x=23904 y=24)!
> fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: pixel
> format conversion
>
>          (Meanwhile, by comparison, PC #1 was showing these messages :
>
> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/btth/.wine" wine
> "C:\Garmin\MapSource.exe"
> fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: pixel
> format conversion
> fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: pixel
> format conversion)
[...]
> 	So I'm altogether at sea about what is wrong with the T30 -- the
> new hard drive, the old BIOS, its version of X, or what.

I read your post rapidly, but I give you my two cents:
the program (and/or wine) is drawing a big bitmap (possibly because
of a wrong calculation about screen size etc.) and this triggers
a problem in the X driver. No wonder it works when on ssh.
There are only two things that can lock a machine; the kernel and X.

The hard disk is not guilty, sure. :-)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it