cups configuration

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 12 14:00:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 17:37 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 09:28 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
> > It looks to me that more changes would be needed. At least I conclude
> > that from the folllowing section of the cupsd.conf file:
> >  # All administration operations require an administrator to
> > authenticate...
> >   <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
> > CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default
> > CUPS-Get-Devices>
> >     AuthType Default
> >     Require user @SYSTEM
> >     Order deny,allow
> >   </Limit>
> >
> I should have been more specific. (Not enough coffee.) Near the
> beginning of the cupsd.conf file there is a section:
>
> # Administrator user group...
> SystemGroup sys root
>
> If you change it to:
> SystemGroup sys root aaron
>
> then aarom is authorized when you have "Require user @SYSTEM". But
> if you do not want to give the user blanked permission, you can
> change "Require user @SYSTEM" to "Require user @SYSTEM aaron" just
> for that section.
>
> But even if the user has no permissions to change things, they can
> change their own default printer - they just can not change the
> system default printer.
>
> Mikkel
I agree with you. My only point was you have to change more than you
indicated. To make a user appear in the cups SystemGroup may be too much
power for a single user and it was my opinion the OP waned this power
for all users which may be too many people having too much power.
memo, n.: An interoffice communication too often written more for the
benefit of the person who sends it than the person who receives it.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net