Firefox and other apps slow with name resolution

Patrick Mansfield patman at aracnet.com
Mon Jul 13 00:58:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 04:16:34PM -0700, David Lam wrote:
> >    install ipv6 /bin/true
> >
> > and rebooted. It worked. I'm happy about that, but I'm confused.
> > Despite my supposed disabling of ipv6, ipv6.ko still shows up in
> > modprobe -l. What exactly did the line above do in that case?

> meh, bump-   I'm unfortunatley experiencing the same thing after doing a
> 'yum update' (having never done so before) after upgrading from F10->F11.
> My network/telnet/firefox etc.  didn't exhibit the delay at all on F11 prior
> to the yum update
>
> however, after googling for threads about the same problem, i've found that
> disabling-ipv6 dosen't seem to resolve the issue for me,  any one have any
> ideas?
>
> uname -r   ==>  2.6.29.5-191.fc11.x86_64

Is it the same host name as the original site, or lots more?

If it's more than just the original site, it is probably dns prefetching.
That shouldn't slow things down, it is just looking up the host names for
all (or some of?) the links on the page.

You could try to disable dns prefetching, add this to your prefs.js (it
won't show up in about:config):

	user_pref("network.dns.disablePrefetch", true);

-- Patrick Mansfield