Problem with NFS under Fedora-11

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jul 14 12:41:21 UTC 2009

I recently installed Fedora-11 on a rather old PIII (12 years?) machine,
after quite a lot of trouble.

(Preupgrade failed, as did the KDE Live CD.
I succeeded in the end installing from the DVD ISO on the hard disk,
after choosing an absolute minimum to install - just KDE and X.)

This machine is not my home server, but it has a /common directory
which I mount on other machines.

I find that I can only mount it on a client laptop by

(1) Turning off iptables (and ip6tables) on the server; and

(2) Giving the command

        sudo mount -o nolock alfred:/common /common

on the client.

I notice that nfsstat on the server says I am running "Server nfs v3",
while the service I allowed under system-config-firewall is nfs4 .
There is no entry for any other version of NFS.

I also notice that "rpcinfo -p localhost" on the server
seems to suggest that nfs versions 2,3 and 4 are available.

Should I tell my client laptop (which is also running Fedora-11)
to use nfs4 protocol in some way?

I'm no NFS expert, and have probably misunderstood something.
Any enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net