Fedora 11: Switching to single user mode (runlevel 1) -- Hey g.

David dgboles at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 15:17:43 UTC 2009

On 7/14/2009 3:57 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> g wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>
>>> Top post here on purpose. Hey g. Would you, could you, do me, and
>>> others, a favor? Please?
>>>
>>> Either do as you are supposed to do when using GnuPG to sign your emails
>>>

>> there are no hard set 'rules' stating that one *has* to *publish* their
>> *public keys*.
>>

> While there are no "hard set rules" on this, please have a look at:

> In the event this URL get mangled it reads:
>

>    Do not use a PGP Style Signature that is not published.
>
> Use of PGP or GnuPG signing is encouraged. However, if the corresponding
> key is not published on a public   keyserver, then the message will
> cause all MUA's that are PGP aware to hang while they try all known
> keyservers. This can take a long time and is not respectful of other
> people's time.
>

> So, it is in this mailing list's guidelines.  It is your choice to
> ignore the guidelines and it equally the choice, dare I say "right", of
> others to become upset when guidelines are ignored.
>
> Since you seem to be using Thunderbird as your email client you may want
> to consider using the Enigmail addon to assist you in following the
> guidelines.  It will allow you to pick when signatures are attached and,
> assuming you wish to abide by the guidelines, you can omit the signature
> when sending to this list with your aversion to placing your public key
> on a keyserver.
>
> All that being said....  I don't experience the delays noted above since
> I do use Enigmail but I don't have the "automatic" download of public
> keys enabled.  People could do the same so as not to be annoyed by your
> practice...but that seems a bit drastic to ask/expect others to alter
> their ways to eliminate  an avoidable annoyance that is expressly
> pointed out in the guidelines.

Thank you for that clarification on the signing practices guidelines for
this list Ed. I have not signed before mostly because I did not want to
offend anyone. Since signing with a published public key is encouraged I
will start with this one. Come to think of it many of the Fedora and Red
Hat 'folks' sign their posts.

- --

  David