PostgreSQL setup and use

Brad Pepers bpepers at me.com
Thu Jul 16 06:43:22 UTC 2009

I'm trying to use PostgreSQL on Fedora Core 10 and 11 and have a
couple issues and questions:

1. When you install the postgresql-server package, it doesn't start
the service so you have to do this manually.  This seems like an extra
unneeded step since if I'm installing it, I likely want to use it but
fair enough.  To start it though I bring up the Services program and
enable the postgresql service and then try to start it.  It fails
without giving any message or information.  I then went to the
Terminal and ran the /etc/init.d/postgresql script manually with the
"start" parameter.  I then see it wants me to run the script with
initdb first before I can start it.  Again fair enough but now thats a
couple extra steps and the need to run things from the command line to
get the database running which seems user hostile.  On other
distributions when I install the server, when it's installed it's
ready to run.  Or at least the first time I do the "start" it will
create the initial db for me instead of requiring an extra command.

So is there a good reason for all these extra steps?  Could this not
be streamlined?

2. So now I have it installed and I try to create a database using
createdb.  I'm logged in as bpepers and just do "createdb foo" on the
command line.  I get this error message:

	createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: Ident
authentication failed for user "bpepers"

Anyone know why this is happening?  The pg_hba.conf is using "ident
sameuser" for local connections.  As far as I know this should allow
the postgresql server to authenticate that I'm me.  The PostgreSQL
docs says it uses SO_PEERCRED which should be supported on Linux.
Being able to create a database for myself works on *every* other
distribution I've used (Mandriva, SuSE, RHEL, Ubuntu, ...) and without
this it's pretty useless.

The above issues make it very difficult to use PostgreSQL on Fedora
Core 10 and 11.  The first problem means a number of extra steps run
as root and the second seems to mean the user will have to edit
PostgreSQL config files in order to get things running.  If anyone
knows of an easier way to get this working or a solution to the ident
authentication failing, please let me know!  And if there is someone
specifically to ask these questions or make suggestions to the
postgresql-server package install process, let me know!

--
Brad