How to get vsftpd working

Ed Landaveri landaveri at inbox.com
Thu Jul 16 22:59:02 UTC 2009

I would advise you NOT to allow WRITE_ENABLE. If your clients are other *.nix clients you only need scp/sftp or psftp on Windows clients. If you have MAC clients they also can use scp. These clients run over ssh that come stardard on Fedora/CentOS/Red Hat boxes. If you have Debian you install the ssh server and this will put the secure copy/ftp clients too. This way you just allow anonymous access and if your users want to upload anything to your server they will use a secure connection to their home directories. Good for loggin purposes too!

The reason your directory listing fails is because of iptables. Remember vsftp as any ftp server uses incoming port 21 connections but not well-known ports outgoing connections. Google and you'll find the exact configuration.

Regards

|E|d|u|a|r|d|o| |L|a|n|d|a|v|e|r|i|

|G|N|U|-|L|i|n|u|x| |U|s|e|r| |4|3|3|5|1|2|