F9 ---> F11 server update with preupgrade?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Jul 16 23:29:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:11:52 +0200
Peter Diercks <di at jls-hh.de> wrote:

> Hello List!
>
> I am running Fedora 9 on a remote dedicated server leased from a
> service provider. Access is through SSH. It is a LAMP server with
> moodle (an educational cms) as the only application. I want to
> upgrade to Fedora 11, and I need some advice as to which method to
> choose. Should I
>
> - use preupgrade-cli for a direct upgrade F9 to F11?
> - use preupgrade-cli for upgrading to F10 first, and then to F11?
> - avoid upgrading with preupgrade-cli at all, and do a fresh F11
> install instead?
>
> I prefer one of the first two methods over the latter one, but I
> remember reading many complaints about preupgrade.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Peter

Your first option is not possible.  Preupgrade can't be used for that,
at least that is what I found when I used it to upgrade F9.  It failed,
by the way, but I don't think it could be blamed on preupgrade.  I
didn't do in depth investigation because I was going to wipe the
partition anyway and was only experi So it is either 2 or 3.

I prefer fresh installs, restoring any customized pieces on the new
system.