Ranter or evangelist?

Shannon McMackin smcmackin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 02:23:01 UTC 2009

On 07/16/2009 10:40 PM, gilpel at altern.org wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 22:26 -0400, gilpel at altern.org wrote:
>>> Why is it that, when I insert an audio disk, I see it as an audio disk
>>> on
>>> my desktop, but when I click it, GNOME shows the .wav files that are
>>> present. No application is suggested, even under "Open", to play the
>>> damned music.
>> Which part of "Fedora does not support proprietary formats" do you not
>> understand? If you want .wav support, you need to add codecs from a
>> non-Fedora repo. I apologize if you did this and it didn't work, but you
>> don't say so.
>
> I can read the CD, so the codecs are installed.
>
> What I explained is that the way to get the CD playing is far, very far,
> from as obvious as if you were using a Mac or Windows.
>
> User friendlyness is N-I-L.

What you're missing is that the codecs are required for the player to
load and play the media.  The codecs are not required to read the
contents of the CD.

A wonderful 3rd party repo is rpmfusion.org.  They provide many
wonderful tools and options to make your desktop linux experience much
more enjoyable...