EVO conferencing software on Fedora 11

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:37:45 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I have to use a collaboration application called EVO[1]. Their website
says it requires SUN java, I have these installed.

$ yum list installed \*java\*
Installed Packages
java-1.5.0-gcj.x86_64 		1.5.0.0-28.fc11		installed
java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64 	1:1.6.0.0-22.b16.fc11	@updates
java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin.x86_64 1:1.6.0.0-22.b16.fc11	@updates
java_cup.x86_64			1:0.10k-2		installed
tzdata-java.noarch		2009j-1.fc11		@updates

When I try to start the client, FF downloads it(a .jnlp file) and offers
to open with Icedtea but nothing happens. I don't want to make a mess of
my system by installing the proprietary SUN JRE along with the fedora
packages. Is there any way around this?

I have to get this working by this Monday, so for now any short term
solution would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

[1]http://evo.caltech.edu/evoGate/index.jsp

PS: it works just fine with SUN JRE on Ubuntu 8.04 @ work so am I
correct in assuming it is not working on this box as I don't have the
proprietary JRE?

--
Suvayu