good external hard drives (e.g. WD Elements)?

Paul Erickson paule at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 17 19:08:21 UTC 2009

On 07/17/2009 09:25 AM, David Moran wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Tim<ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>  wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know if the "WD Elements" hard drives in enclosures with
>> USB ports work with Fedora pain free?  I've heard tales of some drive
>> enclosures that go asleep on you, but can't recall if it were this range
>> of models, and there's some of these on sale locally for a reasonable
>> price.
>>
>> I had some unidentifiable brand of hard drive enclosure with a Seagate
>> drive in it that died on me some time ago (the drive gets multiplying
>> read errors).  And I want to find a decent replacement, without a silly
>> price, or a crappy fan that's going to make annoying noises or seize up.
>>
>> You try to be diligent, doing your backups to an external drive, then
>> the backup drive is the thing to go west!  :-\  Thank goodness I have
>> the original files to back up the backup...  And, yes, the drive got
>> treated with kid gloves, and I don't expect hard drives to be treated
>> any other way.
>>
>> Now I'm wondering what can be trusted as a medium for removable backups.
>> I much prefer the notion of something like a drive that carries
>> uncompressed copies of files, for direct access to a backup.  Rather
>> than serial access tapes, or terribly slow multi-DVD collections.
>>

> I've been using a WD Elements 1TB drive on my F10 32bit and F11 64bit
> for some time now. Works without a hitch on either one. Just plug and
> play.
>

>> --
>> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
>> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>>
>> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
>> read messages from the public lists.
>>

>> --

One more data point. When I try to format the drive ext3 as you suggest,
I keep getting
this error message:

Error creating filesystem

org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Disks.Error.Failed: Error creating file
system: helper exited with exit code 1: cannot mount /dev/sdc5 at
/var/run/DeviceKit-disks/job-mkfs-IrRLV9: Invalid argument

Any suggestions?

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt at telus.net

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia

"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill