F9 to F11: RPM db destroyed by installer crash due to screen saver: how to repair?

Pierre Sarrazin sarrazip at sarrazip.com
Sat Jul 18 20:39:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've just tried to upgrade my Fedora 9 system to Fedora 11 using
the DVD.

During the package upgrade phase, the screen saver activated and a
bit later, I pressed the right Ctrl key to see where the progress
bar was.  At that point, the installer crashed.  The Python stack
trace mentioned gui.py and the keysyms module not existing.

So apparently because of a GUI bug, the upgrade is screwed up.
I rebooted to find that the RPM database is destroyed.  I get
the "Fatal error, run database recovery" message.  So I erase
/var/lib/rpm/__db.00* and do "rpm --rebuilddb", which works.
But then I run "rpm -qa", which returns nothing.  Not good.  Then I
try "rpm -q rpm" and get this:

    rpmdb: page 9: illegal page type or format
    rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
    rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/Name: pgin failed for page 9
    error: db4 error(-30977) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: error(-30977) getting "rpm" records from Name index
    package rpm is not installed
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Then "rpm -qa" starts failing too:

    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30977)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

The "Packages" files is now 12288 bytes long. It was 60153856 bytes
long before the upgrade, according to my July 10th backup of /var.

Can this be repaired?

I have no idea which packages were upgraded at the point of the
crash.  (That's what I was going to check out after rebooting.)

--
Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip @ sarrazip . com>