Samsung Laser printers and F10/11?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 22:25:40 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> Mail Lists-3 wrote:
>>
>> On 07/11/2009 10:41 AM, Mail Lists wrote:
>>
>>   Typo -  f10 and f11 are on 1.0.19 .. you probably still need 1.0.20.
>> You could just download from upstream perhaps ?
>>

> Yes indeed.
>
> By the way the Samsung driver stuff is at
> http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/download/supportDown.do?group=printsolutions&type=printsolutions&subtype=monomultifunctionproducts&model_nm=SCX-4500W&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=DR&vType=&prd_ia_cd=06010300&disp_nm=SCX-4500W&model_cd=&menu=download
>
> and the ppd file scx4500w.ppd is in the directory
> cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/
> in the Unified Linux Driver tarball once it is untarred.

I am going to test the printer and scanner functions via a usb connection on
an F10 machine in the coming days.  Having downloaded
sane-backends-1.0.20-4.fc10 and its associated library from updates-testing,
I will try the scanner in the next few days, and will also try to install
the printer using the ppd file and see if it will work without the Samsung
provided other stuff. I will be pleased if both functions can be made to
work. The xerox_mfp.conf file has been amended to include the 4500w details,
and a 19-libsane-scx4500w.fdi has been made, so hopefully this will allow
the scanner to operate but it now needs testing.

Additionally it would be nice to test this to see if it will work via
ethernet and wireless for printing, though I understand that scanning will
only work via usb.

If it works I will also try to test on an F11 laptop as a test ahead of
moving my main machine on F10 to F11 in the next couple of weeks.