Linux "NULL pointer dereferece" in the News...

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jul 19 17:39:55 UTC 2009

> http://blog.namei.org/2009/07/18/a-brief-note-on-the-2630-kernel-null-pointer-vulnerability/

Why on earth would I need an option named -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks?
If there is a null pointer check in the source code, then it is there for
a reason (maybe a bad reason, maybe a good one, but the compiler can't possibly
know which kind :-). There has got to be a fundamental compiler bug here,
and it is absurd to go adding compiler options that say "Oh, by the way,
please don't run into this particular bug."

What next? Will I need to compile with the options

--do-not-alter-meaning-of-line-1 --do-not-alter-meaning-of-line-2 ... ?