Ranter or evangelist?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Sun Jul 19 23:22:59 UTC 2009

> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:33:31 -0400 (EDT), gilpel altern org wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>
>> > Do you still have a /var/log/yum.log?
>> >
>> > Or perhaps you can draw conclusions from looking at the output of
>> > "rpm -qa --last|less"?
>>
>> less /var/log/yum.log | grep xmms
>> Jul 11 12:47:25 Installed: 1:xmms-libs-1.2.11-5.20071117cvs.fc11.x86_64
>> Jul 11 12:47:26 Installed: 1:xmms-1.2.11-5.20071117cvs.fc11.x86_64
>> Jul 11 12:47:38 Installed: xmms-mplayer-0.5-2.fc11.x86_64
>>
>> (3 more entries installing/uninstalling xmms-cdread. I remember that.)
>>
>> So, xmms has been installed when I installed Mplayer.
>
> No, you made a selection that included "xmms-mplayer", which is
> an MPlayer input plugin for XMMS. It depends on xmms-libs and xmms.
> You can safely remove those three xmms* packages.
>
> [Perhaps there are FAQs/HOWTOs on the www, which made you use
> wildcards to install a set of packages like "*mplayer*".]

I made the installation with the graphic interface, Pirut, I believe it's
called. If wildcards were used, Pirut is the culprit.

Since I wanted to make sure I'd have all components needed to have a nice
working MPlayer system, I just installed pretty much everything that was
suggested. Had I looked more closely, I would have deselected anything
with the name xmms in it because I knew how much trouble xmms has meant to
me in the past. But a pure newbie wouldn't know. So, IMO, Pirut shouldn't
suggest to install xmms when installing Mplayer.

Removing Rhythmbox when I only wanted to remove Brasero wasn't very clever
either. I don't remember if I removed Braseo with yum at the command line
or in Pirut.