60% of Fedora packages obsolete

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Jul 20 21:01:40 UTC 2009

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> However, this seems to place Fedora in a weird position -- between
>> what most now consider to be the bleeding edge distro, Arch,. and
>> what many consider to be the stable distro, Ubuntu. What niche does
>> fedora intend to fullfill?
>
> I don't know how relevant any of the data on oswatershed even is, but
> I believe the Fedora and Red Hat continues to drive a lot of upstream
> development.  That is much more important than who chucks the latest
> build over the wall to users.
>
> When the folks at Archlinux update to the latest release of some
> project the day it comes out, they can often thank some Fedora
> contributors for making the upstream release possible. :)

As I understand it, we Fedoraites are Red Hat's triple-A farm team and
experimental lab rats.  Once we get a good, stable Fedora release with
lots of new features, then it's grabbed and becomes a Red Hat Enterprise
release.

I think Red Hat is still the most used "commercial" Linux distro, so a
lot of the upstream activity is caused by us Fedoraites causing changes.

That's just my opinion...I could be wrong.
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -