FC11 Random lockups with Celeron 1GHz CPU.

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Jul 21 16:37:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:03:00 -0500
Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am experiencing random lockups on my system. They started with FC10
> and now I've had them about twice with FC11
> First I thought the reason was the graphical drivers, but they
> continued (although less frequently) when I switched down to
> work at level 3 on this pc.
> Usually this pc works as a data server (music, photos) for my home
> but I use it ocasionally to troubleshoot other pc's at home.
>
> My PC is a
> Intel Celeron socket 370 1GHz CPU
> Biostar M6VLR board
>   --VIA VT8601A(PLE133T) / VT82C686B chipset
>   -- Trident Blade 3D Core integrated video.
> 2MB RAM(PC 133 MHZ)
>
> I think I read among the release notes that the minimum requirement
> with be a Pentium processor,
> I am not sure if one of the optimizations for Fedora is adversely
> affecting my Celeron system.

Possible, but I think unlikely.  Isn't a celeron a pentium III or IV
without the on board cache?  i.e. much more recent than the original
pentium.

> Would it go away I if recompile the Kernel?

Easy enough to try.  I would rate it a long shot though.

> What logs should I activate to try and catch out what is exactly
> causing the lockups. I do not remember

Is there anything in /var/log/messages after a lockup?  If it is really
a hardware fault causing this, it will be sudden like lightning, no
logging.  Off we go, into the wild blue yonder... :-)

> any particular activity that consistently causes the lock ups. I
> checked out RAM with Memtest86 and it doesn't show up any trouble.

My first thoughts would be overheating or a power supply going bad.

Also power down the system completely (unplugged) and remove and
reinsert all the boards, connectors, memory.

Maybe someone else will have better insight.