Functional GIT on F11 ?

Aaron Gray aaronngray.lists at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 22 19:52:49 UTC 2009

2009/7/22 Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists at googlemail.com>

> 2009/7/22 Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>
>
>> I wrote:
>> > It depends on how fine-grained you want things.  If all the users have
>> > ssh accounts on the system, you can just make the repository shared
>> > and add everyone who should have commit privileges to the group used
>> > for the repository.  This is how it is done on fedorahosted.org.  For
>> > example, if your git repo is at /git/repo.git:
>> >
>> >     # Tell git the repository is shared
>> >     $ git --git-dir /git/repo.git config core.sharedrepository true
>> >
>> >     # Set proper group ownership
>> >     $ chgrp -R gitgroup /git/repo.git
>> >
>> >     # Make all directories setgid
>> >     $ find /git/repo.git -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \;
>> >
>> >     # Ensure files and dirs are group writable
>> >     $ find /git/repo.git/ \( -type f -o -type d \) -a \
>> >                           \( -perm /u+w -a ! -perm /g+w \) \
>> >         xargs chmod g+w
>>
>> Incidentally, most of this is only needed if you're dealing with a
>> repository that you've already created.  If you're initializing a new
>> repo you can skip most of it.
>>
>>    $ git --git-dir /git/repo.git --bare init --shared=true
>>    $ chgrp -R gitgroup /git/repo.git
>>
>> Then you can easily push things into it from an existing repo to add
>> content and git will handle the permissions.
>

> Yes pushing over SSH is working great now, thanks. Just groups to sort out.

I have set '/pub/git/expermental' to 'git:gitgroup'

and added 'gitgroup' as a group to 'ang'

remotely this fails :-

ang at AMD2500-PC ~/git/experimental
$ git push ssh://git.cybercomms.org/pub/git/experimental/.git
ang at git.cybercomms.org's password:
Counting objects: 3, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done.
Writing objects: 100% (2/2), 234 bytes, done.
Total 2 (delta 1), reused 0 (delta 0)
error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database
./obj
ects
fatal: failed to write object
error: unpack failed: unpacker exited with error code
To ssh://git.cybercomms.org/pub/git/experimental/.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (n/a (unpacker error))
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://
git.cybercomms.org/pub/git/experimenta
l/.git'
 But if I set ''/pub/git/expermental' to 'ang:ang' then it works.

Help, stuck again !

Aaron