F10 automatic F10 upgrades to F11?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:00:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:17:39AM -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> For the last several weeks, I have been getting "automatic"
> F11 upgrade notices on my F10 system.  I do not know if
> this is a feature or standard operating procedure for this sort
> of thing since I have never initiated such an upgrade request
> to begin with.
>
> But then again, I thought to myself... why not?  I was getting
> tired of waiting for the missing gnome `sessions save' package
> which for the most part may never be released for F10.
>
> So, when I was prompted (automatically from yum?) for F10 to
> F11 upgrade, I proceeded to start the update process.  After
> entering root permission, the upgrade dialog window pops
> and and starting "firing away" with the upgrade process:
>
>     "Upgrade your system"
> "Preparing system for upgrade"
>
> + Download release info
> + Download installer images
> + Determine which packages to install
> + Download packages
> + Prepare and test upgrade
> + Ready to begin upgrade
>         [Reboot Now]
> + Pressed the [Reboot Now] button
>   On rebooting, it shutdown the services, rebooted,
>   and grub starts kernel & runs Anaconda.
> + X11 "Finding storage devices... dialogbox pops up
> + X11 Passphrase dialog pops up.  Entered the encrypted disk
>    password & checked the "This is a global passphrase" checkbox
> + X11 "Retrieving installation information for installation repo..."
>    dialogbox pops up
> + "Checking dependencies in packages selected for installation..."
>    & progressbar shows, takes awhile to complete...
>
> The progressbar got 1/3 of the way, and then suddenly X11 quits
> and proceeds into text mode:
> =============================
> [TIME] Starting graphical installation...
> install exited abnormally [1/1]
> disabling swap...
> [...]
> unmounting filesystems...
> [...]
> you may safely reboot your system
> [cursor]
> =============================
>
> So, I had to power-cycle the PC to reboot.
>
> Grub shows:
> ==========================
>  Upgrade to Fedora 11 (Leonidas) *
>  initng boot  *
>  Fedora (2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.i686)
>  Windows 2000
> ==========================
> * = new additions due to the upgrade process.
>
> ====================================
> I have gone through this about 5 times over the
> course of several weeks, each time, resulting a
> failed upgrade.  I can still boot into my F10 system,
> nothing was lost or corrupted (as far as I can tell) and
> the Upgrade repos still remain in the yum directories.
>
> Can someone tell me, what is going on, why is it
> that Yum repeatedly does this from time to time
> due to a normal F10 boot, yum F10 updates, and
> occasionally popping up the upgrade process?
>
> Every time I think "it's gonna work this time..",
> [...]

FWIW, the following page (and links) may help
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade

If you can provide a more detailed bug filed against preupgrade, I
know there are some folks who would love to improve the experience of
preupgrade.  I was just talking to them last week, matter of
fact... :-)

I know problems currently exist with exotic configurations like /boot
volume on RAID, and one of the things I've suggested is to look for
these cases and then have preupgrade apologize and bail out before
doing anything else.