Fedora 11 install on MacBook Pro 5,2 fails

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 08:59:40 UTC 2009

Dear all,
I'm having trouble installing Fedora 11 on my brand new MacBook Pro. With
the live CD (x86_64) will computer will not boot stopping at a black screen,
no messages. Booting from the DVD (also x86_64) the installer (anaconda)
starts up, the first screen with the option to check media displays. The
test passes but continuing eventually ends in a freeze with a small pointer
displaying at the middle of the screen.

I would really prefer to run Fedora than OSX on this machine so I'm hoping
someone could help. I read a blogpost saying I should go for the 64bit
version but maybe that's the problem? Or maybe, it's the dual graphics cards
in this machine that confuses the installer (see below)?

Any hints would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Best,

Henrik

Hardware info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro