will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 23 19:48:44 UTC 2009

From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
Sent: Thursday, 2009/July/23 10:56

>  apologies for the unduly harsh tone but, seriously, will there ever
> be radeon drivers available for fedora that aren't complete junk?
> this has been going on for some time now, and nothing's changed.
>
>  currently, on my 1280x800 display gateway laptop, i need to run the
> vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if i try to run the radeon
> driver, i'll get my full resolution, and my session will last maybe
> 10-15 minutes before finally locking up, at which point the only
> response i can get is moving the mouse around the screen verrrrrry
> slowly but nothing else, requiring a power cycle.  (the vesa driver
> will, of course, work perfectly for days on end.)
>
>  it's been like this since early in the f11 test cycle, and it
> depresses me to think i'll still be fighting with this when the first
> cut of f12 comes out.
>
>  what's the story on video drivers these days?  and why are they such
> unmitigated trash?
>
> </rant>
>
> rday

Hell no. This is X-windows. I've had drivers crashing left and right on
my old laptop since FC5 or so. And it's just been getting worse with time
not better. Now I understand why ATI drivers are crap on Windows, too.
They must play the Adaptec game, you pick your chip rev for the bugs you
are willing to work around. Over the last 5 or so years I have developed
an intense hate for ATI anything, even now that they are related to AMD.

{+_+}