will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jul 23 20:08:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 13:56:12 -0400,
  "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   apologies for the unduly harsh tone but, seriously, will there ever
> be radeon drivers available for fedora that aren't complete junk?
> this has been going on for some time now, and nothing's changed.

>   it's been like this since early in the f11 test cycle, and it
> depresses me to think i'll still be fighting with this when the first
> cut of f12 comes out.

Thinks have been screwed up for longer than that. I started seeing regressions
more in the F8 era. And there have been real issues since KMS started in
earnest. My hope was that things would be in shape by the release of F12,
but I am not too confident of that now, but it could still happen.

>   what's the story on video drivers these days?  and why are they such
> unmitigated trash?

There is still infrastructure development going on. Airlie just posted another
update on things he has been working on within the last day. Phoronix
also has lots of news tidbits on video driver / X related stuff.