will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

John Mellor john.mellor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 23:02:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 20:15 +0200, Julian Aloofi wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 23.07.2009, 13:56 -0400 schrieb Robert P. J. Day:
> > apologies for the unduly harsh tone but, seriously, will there ever
> > be radeon drivers available for fedora that aren't complete junk?
> > this has been going on for some time now, and nothing's changed.
> >
> >   currently, on my 1280x800 display gateway laptop, i need to run the
> > vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if i try to run the radeon
> > driver, i'll get my full resolution, and my session will last maybe
> > 10-15 minutes before finally locking up, at which point the only
> > response i can get is moving the mouse around the screen verrrrrry
> > slowly but nothing else, requiring a power cycle.  (the vesa driver
> > will, of course, work perfectly for days on end.)
> >
> >   it's been like this since early in the f11 test cycle, and it
> > depresses me to think i'll still be fighting with this when the first
> > cut of f12 comes out.
> >
> >   what's the story on video drivers these days?  and why are they such
> > unmitigated trash?
> >
> > </rant>
> >
> > rday
> We had a radeon test day in the Fedora 11 test cycle:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:Radeon_2009-04-01
> If you had this error in the test cycle, that would've been the right
> day to report it. My card works fine, by the way. If you want to get it
> fixed, some information, at least your card model would be nice.
> Regards,
> Julian

Ok, here is one that makes F11 a serious reversion and a total writeoff
as a desktop at this point:
ATI HD3650 512MB AGP
- no 3d support at all, F10 had pretty good 3D
- shuts down every so often
- slow 2D driver, far better prior to F11 using the RPM Fusion non-free
driver

I'm not using F11 anymore, as it is far worse that F10.  In F10 I can
play FPS games beautifully and power management actually works, unlike
F11.