F10 automatic F10 upgrades to F11?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jul 24 00:54:45 UTC 2009

On 07/23/2009 07:44 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> I have not invested a lot of time with F10 (other than installing
> and updating it [and upgrades, I might add...]) due to the fact I
> *really* wanted the "gnome session save" working on F10,
> which will probably never see the light of day.

You just reminded me of something else.  None of my GNOME STARTUP
programs survived my upgrades to F10 or F11.  They were there in F9 and F8.

> My computer with F10 installed is a PIII 256cache, w/ 512MB
> RAM, Nvidia TNT, has >50GB of freespace and sadly, I was not
> able to do an upgrade. It really bombs out. This F10 as I showed
> earlier, is disk encrypted, is LVM, otherwise might be the real
> problem why upgrades will not work. I have no clue. No
> breadcrumbs to follow as to why it fails.

None of my systems involved either LVM or disk encryption.  My Dell
Dimension has a Celeron 1.5GHz processor.  I upgraded the ram to max
(1GB) before installing Fedora.

> I also have an old system w/P3x2, w/256MB RIMM and I discovered
> quickly that I could only install up to F9. F10 apparently requires
> at least 512MB RAM in order to run off the CD install. It never had
> a chance, in hell even ;)

I installed F10 on an old K6-2 (500MHz) with only 384MB SDRAM.  While it
does run, it runs slowly and pages a lot.  Actually, it was a preupgrade
update of an F7 system.  I had lots of clock problems with this system
early on it its F7 days before the kernel got fixed.  The kicker is that
F7 and F10 run without any of the strange problems W98 had on the same
hardware!  ATI Radeon 7000 video which was *not* happy during the
upgrade.  It took a lot of work on my part to stabilize the
configuration, given F10's want to not have an xorg.conf file....

In fact, come to think of it, Linux runs just fine on hardware that
windows users have given up on because of stability problems.  I only
wish that the laptop I inherited with an 800MHz Pentium 3 could install
more than 128MB of SODIMM, or it would still be running.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net