will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Fri Jul 24 07:28:22 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> Subject: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?
> To: Fedora List <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

>   apologies for the unduly harsh tone but, seriously, will there ever
> be radeon drivers available for fedora that aren't complete junk?
> this has been going on for some time now, and nothing's changed.
>
>   currently, on my 1280x800 display gateway laptop, i need to run the
> vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if i try to run the radeon
> driver, i'll get my full resolution, and my session will last maybe
> 10-15 minutes before finally locking up, at which point the only
> response i can get is moving the mouse around the screen verrrrrry
> slowly but nothing else, requiring a power cycle.  (the vesa driver
> will, of course, work perfectly for days on end.)
Had similar problem with screen resolution running vesa driver. Check
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf In section "Screen", subsection "Display" in
line Modes add "1280x800" and restart X-server. That (probably) will do
the task.
I have another problem with vesa driver. I have an old Crt-monitor.
After changing to vesa driver I have low screen refresh frequency. I
don't know exactly how low it is because in Preferences->Display there's
0 value for it and I can't change it to anything else (drop-down list is
empty).
--
Hiisi.