will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 24 10:34:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Julian Aloofi wrote:

> As soon as the Fedora 12 Alpha is released we could start another
> test day for radeon cards. We could contact the original initiators
> and ask them if they'd like to join us. The most important thing is
> that we will need at least one person experienced with radeon driver
> hacking, do you know one? When the Alpha is released one of us
> should contact Dave Airlie and ask him whether he has the time to do
> the dirty work. I didn't know the radeon situation is that bad, I
> guess I'm just lucky having the right card (Radeon HD 2600).

  i'm willing to put in a few more hours on this, but only if there's
some kind of meaningful test suite in place already.  that is, there's
no point if all that's going to happen is a bunch of people going,
"ok, let's see if we can figure out why this is so hosed."

  what do we know *already*?  has the general problem been identified?
who's ultimately responsible for this working?  is AMD aware of this
and are they actively helping track down the bugs?  and so on, and so
on.

  it would be nice to know that there is some kind of structured and
methodical process in place for this, and not random flailing around,
taking wild stabs at solutions that might or might not work, bugzilla
notwithstanding.

rday

"Kernel Newbie Corner" column @ linux.com:          http://cli.gs/WG6WYX