will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 24 14:36:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I can't see this as a blocking issue if the vesa drivers work... My
> hardware is not so sacred that everyone else should wait until the X
> group fixes the problem.

  and i'd be ecstatic with vesa as long as i could get my full
1280x800 resolution on this laptop.  as i mentioned before, here's my
xorg.conf in its entirety:

=====
Section "ServerFlags"
	Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Videocard0"
	Driver "vesa"
EndSection
=====

  and i'd be delighted if someone could suggest what to add in terms
of Screen or Modes to get 1280x800, because i've tried several
variations and nothing worked.  suggestions welcome.  i'm sure it's
trivial and just one of those combinations i've missed.

rday

p.s.  lspci -v, for what it's worth:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon
X1200 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Device 0381
	Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
	Memory at f8100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
	Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel modules: radeon

"Kernel Newbie Corner" column @ linux.com:          http://cli.gs/WG6WYX