Why is my load ave so high now?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jul 24 21:14:52 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 04:52 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> You think 91% of your CPU going to astropulse has something to do with
> it? Try turning viewing of threads, I don't see how you would get that

I'll say it again.  BOINC is niced to 19.  It only runs when there is
nothing else to run.  It is not even consuming all memory (no, or very
little swap is in use), so other processes still remain resident.

Under F8 the same mix of programs (actually more programs running
concurrently) had a lower load average by a factor of 3!  The answer
must be something else.

However, something Aaron said got me thinking.  The kernel may be using
a different process scheduler in F10 than it was in F8.  That is
definitely something for me to look into.

> load unless you had multiple threads running. And you can attach a
> ".txt" file, so the lines don't get wrapped. In any case, it's low
> priority and nice so if you have anything useful running it should get
> the CPU.

I agree.  In fact, the 2 ssh connections I have to it from my laptop
remain very responsive.  Its just the large number that bothers me.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net