F12 networkmanager, anyone else worried by this?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 24 21:15:45 UTC 2009

Ian Malone wrote:
> I've just noticed F12 is moving towards NetworkManager for system-wide
> connections.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManagerSystemConnections
>

> Is anyone able to reassure me that NM will finally work this time?

Pray that you can still get rid of NM and use something less convenient and more
reliable. As long as developers delude themselves into thinking that any
application which make decisions doesn't need a usable "do it my way" path for
the admin, we will have cases of total non-working.

The greeks called it "hubris," thinking that one is a God and can perform
miracles. That's why system-config-display must be manually loaded and NM simply
has no way (which works) to bring up an interface at boot instead of when a user
logs in. That's why PulseAudio has interraction between the oss mixer, alsa
mixer, PA volume widget, PA mixer, and advanced mixer, and sound either works by
magic at install or is unlikely to ever be satisfactory short of removing PA and
using ALSA.

The only things I can reassure you of are that (a) NM will be better, (b) it
won't be as better as the developers think it is, and (c) it's unlikely that
there will be any better documentation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>