F11 Sound without PulseAudio ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 24 22:16:09 UTC 2009

Chris wrote:
> 2009/7/22 Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>:
>> I still have no sound.   Search the archives for more details.  Others
>> with Intel sound devices report a similar condition.  Bug reports have
>> been filed.  The problem appears to be related to PulseAudio.
>>
>> Is there a way to get sound working in F11 without using PulseAudio ?
>
> You can try disabling pulseaudio. It's not as easy as you might think
> since it's set to respawn. You need to edit /etc/pulse/client.conf and
> add "autospawn = no", then do "pulseaudio -k".
>
> I would suggest that you try some applications other than the standard
> ones. vlc is a good bet. I've had my fair share of audio problems but
> I always found that vlc worked as long as I disabled pulseaudio. Worth
> a try! :)

Anyone who reads this list will know I despise PA totally, but vlc has worked
fine for me  using PA, in FC11, in FC11 running in a VM under FC9 KVM (from cli)
and in FC9.

The usual thing to do with PA is to install the advanced mixer and turn up the
volume there, run alsamixer and turn up the volume there, and you are likely to
have sound coming out.

On the other hand I have never gotten recording to work right, and switching the
sound from 2ch to 4ch to 5.1 or 7.1ch seems impossible, that control is no
longer present on anything I've found. I run all my sound stuff on FC6 still, if
you were were supposed to have this work they would have written documentation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>