6. Re: When will we ever have an upgrade with sound that just, works ?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jul 25 01:27:44 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 02:06 PM, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> 2009/7/24 William Case<billlinux at rogers.com>:
>> >   From reading the submitted bugs, google reports and postings here
>> >  PulseAudio often gets blamed for bugs that properly lie elsewhere. On
>> >  the other hand, the PulseAudio maintainers and gnome gui creators do
>> >  themselves no favours by refusing to write manuals that start at the
>> >  ground up for sound newbies who are trying to figure out what is going
>> >  on with their sound system.  How can someone confidently submit a bug
>> >  report with the proper data if they have no idea or have a confused
>> >  concept of what is happening on their machines?
>
> Totally agree with both the points here. I've had a lot of problems
> with sound myself and disabling pulseaudio gets it working, however
> that doesn't necessarily mean pulse is at fault. In my case I believe
> it's the ALSA configuration that is presented to pulse. Bug report
> here:

> Incidentally you do not*need*  to remove pulseaudio. You can edit
> /etc/pulse/client.conf, add a line that says "autospawn = no", then do
> "pulseaudio -k". Whilst it may be annoying to have packages installed
> that aren't being used, it gets around the dependency issue although I
> believe pulseaudio is quite light on dependencies.

The second line of the last paragraph is the single most useful thing I
have read about pulseaudio! It is NOT apparent in the minimalist
documention of pulse.
I have been a linux user since FC5. And I have never been able to get
pulse to work, on ANY motherboard/audio chipset. Since pulse + alsa
setup is so cryptic and completely undocumented, if there actually are
any alsa misconfigurations to my Intel HDA audio chips, I will never
know. So I cannot file bug reports. Instead, I have always used the
'wooden-stake+silver-bullet+garlic' method: remove everything!