no hardware acceleration?

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 25 03:45:29 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 07:59 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

>>> I guess that the second means I don't have hardware aceleration.
>>> What does the first one mean?

>>> No mention of my geforce graphics card (GX5200LE 128 MB AGP).
>>>
>>> Would this sort of thing cause mplayer and ffplay to freeze?
>>> Each of them last a couple before seconds before freezing.
>>> ffplay keeps a little over 1% of the cpu.
>>> Don't remember about mplayer.
>
> Rebooting has mplayer and ffplay running again.
> I even have sound.
> mplayer occasionally claims my system is too slow.
> This is likely because I still have software rendering?
> True?

Not true. Software rendering refers to the display of 3D objects in
OpenGL.  Unless you have a very strange setup, mplayer won't be using
OpenGL to display video data.

I've got a box with a geforce 5200 LE, and it displays video just fine
if I use the "evil" Nvidia driver. The "nouveau" driver (which you
probably have) isn't quite ready for prime time.

I get the driver from the Nvidia website, but it can also be yummed from
the rpmfusion-nonfree repo.

Regards,

John