active network connection stops working...

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Jul 25 16:59:11 UTC 2009

On 09-07-25 10:19:52, Jim wrote:
> On 07/24/2009 04:35 PM, charles zeitler wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Rick Sewill<rsewill at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> You indicated there is no DNS resolution?
> >> What is in your /etc/resolv.conf file please?
> >>

> > it is currently blank.
> >

> >> Can you ping an IP address if you do not use DNS resolution?
> >>
> >> Can you ping www.google.com?
> >> Can you ping 209.85.225.99?
> >>

> > i successfully pinged yahoo at 69.147.76.15
> >

> >> Am I correct in assuming you have never been able to surf the
> >> Internet through this active network connection?  My previous
> >> comments assumed you could surf the Internet, but your connection
> >> eventually failed.
> >>
> > my connection worked initially, and for some time, then suddenly
> > dns stopped working.
> >

> see if vou can ping linuxtoday.com, if it's a DNS problem you won't
> be able to connect to server.  Fedora is also having a IPV6 problem,
> it's looking for IPV6 instead of IPV4.

He has no nameservers listed, so unless he is running a local
nameserver (bind, etc.) he can't resolve any names.  See `man
resolv.conf`, the second paragraph and the "nameserver" section.

This is (most likely) happening when his DHCP lease is renewed and
something doesn't work.  There might be a log (perhaps
/var/log/messages) where PPP mentions such things.