active network connection stops working...

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Jul 26 16:35:47 UTC 2009

On 09-07-26 11:10:55, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> charles zeitler wrote:
> > first, thanks again for your replies.
> > Rick, no worries, i was not led astray,
> > just having to digest the info a byte at a time...
> >
> > Tony, i believe chances are you're right,
> > & possibly the problem is at my provider's end...
> >
> > Mikkel, my context on /etc/ppp/ip-up matches yours
> > & permissions on resolv.conf:
> > -rw-r--r--. root root system_u:object_r:net_conf_t:s0
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > (looks good?)

Matches mine, and it used to get updated (but by DHCP over Ethernet
from my local NAT box, not PPP).

> > so far i haven't been able to reproduce the outage,
> > i'm starting to think my software is good, and the issue
> > might be bad updates from at&t....
> >
> It sure looks that way. The only thing that turned up was an empty
> /etc/resolv.conf. I guess it it possible that you got a lease with
> blank name server information. I don't know if it would be advisable
> to keep the old information in that case...

Charles, if you get tired of the issue, you could, instead of solving
it, set up a local caching nameserver (I use bind).  You might also
need to disable updates to /etc/resolv.conf as I did (Gnome's System ->
Administration -> Network : Devices -> Edit : DHCP Settings :
Automatically obtain... = unchecked).  I also made mine Immutable.
With a local nameserver, /etc/resolv.conf should either list only
"nameserver 127.0.0.1" or it should have no nameserver entries.