Why Fedora is for experts only?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Sun Jul 26 21:05:54 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> While it is important to you, and important to companies like
> RedHat,

So, it's important for Red Hat and until now, your point was that it is
irrelevant to Fedora because Fedora is for experts. So you expect RHEL to
acquire a user base by people getting use to it through CentOS, I suppose.

I've never used CentOS but, getting stuck with the likes of GIMP 2,2 does
sound very appealing to me as a desktop user.

OTOH, I've tried Mint, Knoppix, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, PCLinuxOS,
Slackware and quite a few others, I suppose.

So far, Fedora is the one that worked best for me. I'm sure, with a 3 page
list of do and don't, most Windows users could get it running. The
question is "Would they go through a 3 page list?" Knowing that there will
be a whole lot more to get accustomed to, wouldn't they wonder why things
aren't done right without the do and don't?

After a few modifications, I can now watch Radio-Canada's WMV better than
I ever could, QuickTime at Apple's site(1), K3B, as always, burns CDs and
DVDs, etc. As for the other bugs, most minor, other distros have them too.

(1) You have to find the urls on the pages... when they're available.

> this is not the forum to be discussing it.

If you look at the "To" header for this list, you'll see "Community
assistance, encouragement,  and advice for using Fedora."

Did you note "encouragement"? To me this doesn't mean only chanting
"Alleluia!", whatever the product looks like. It means stopping
discouraging people from using Fedora by pretending it's only for experts
and encouraging them to join in by making the product easier to use...
without making the experts furious by dumming it down.

This is the most general forum there is for Fedora. I know of none that is
intended for discussing market share and, if there was, it seems there
would be nobody on it because nobody gives a damn.

This discussion about market share is getting nowhere. It's just noise, so
this will probably be the end of it, as far as I am concerned.