[Slightly OT] Re: Ranter or evangelist?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 27 01:01:15 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> You are absolutely right. THE problem is the SRC using the WMV format and
>> Microsoft servers with all their shenanigans.
>>

> I didn't say using wmv was the problem although if they had included it
> in a open format - Ogg, Firefox 3.5 in Fedora 11 would have played it
> out of the box.
>
> Totem plays wmv files just fine. You need the gstreamer plugins -
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly and gstreamer-ffmpeg included in RPM Fusion but
> not Fedora due to software patents.

FWIW, the link in question that seems to cause the issue is....

http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/decouverte/2008-2009/Reportage.asp?idDoc=83307&autoPlay=http://www.radio-canada.ca/Medianet/2009/CBFT/Decouverte200906281830_1.asx

or

http://tinyurl.com/mnxvaf

It plays here on a RHELv4 system with mplayer and mplayer plugins.

It does *not* play on an F11 system with totem and all the gstreamer
(bad, ugly, etc...) installed.

I think the OP is looking to have someone verify his findings.  So,
consider the problem verified.

Now, the Question becomes is does the OP want to file the bugzilla or
allow someone else to do it for him.

Ed

--
Youth is when you blame all your troubles on your parents; maturity is
when you learn that everything is the fault of the younger generation.