USB-printer sharing

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Mon Jul 27 05:45:39 UTC 2009

> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:08:20 -0400
> From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>
> Subject: Re: USB-printer sharing
> To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora.
> 	<fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Hiisi writes:
>
> > Dear Fedora folks!
> > I'm trying to setup home server using F11 desktop. The computer has
3
> > Ethernet devices (1 integrated on motherboard and 2 additional in
> > PCI-slots). It's connected to the Internet via eth0 and shares
network
> > for Windows laptop on eth1 using NAT. This part works grate.
Currently

http://<F11desktopIP>:631/printers/deskjet-3600

> How did you obtain this URL.
>
> The best way to obtain the URL is to simply open
> http://server:631/printers
>
> The main page contains a link for all installed printers. Open the
link
> for
> your printer, and the resulting URL is the URL that Windows XP should
be
> configured to use.

That is exactly how I did.

> > There wasn't exactly my printer model, so I choose HP DeskJet driver
>
> This is very unlikely. HP not shipping a Windows driver for your
printer
> is
> just as likely as me winning the lottery. You most certainly have the
> drivers for your HP printer on a CD. After you've specified the URL
when
> setting up the CUPS printer in Windows XP, you'll be asked to select a
> driver. Select the appropriate driver from the CD. The last component
of
> the
> CUPS URL has absolutely nothing to do with the driver name.

It seems this time you won the race! There's a lot of models, but not my
printer. So, I choose HP DeskJet without any model.
Now I have either error in the error log or 'success' entry, but nothing
happens (no printing made). Is it Window$ bug or something?
--
Hiisi.