fedora 11 worst then ever release

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Mon Jul 27 13:12:16 UTC 2009

On 07/27/2009 01:21 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:02:46 +0100,
>    Terry Barnaby<terry1 at beam.ltd.uk>  wrote:
>> On this subject, why isn't the standard anaconda package for F11 updated
>> when bugs are found and fixed ? I, amongst others I'm sure, make their
>> own local
>> re-spins of F11 that we can install on our local systems. One of the
>> major items needed in a respin is the anaconda installer as if this has bugs
>> for our systems installing is very difficult. All other packages can be fixed
>> by a later yum update. If anaconda updated packages were released as part
>> of the normal F11 updates then respins built with pungi would have all of
>> the latest installation bugs fixed.
>
> I think it is partly a time and priority issue. In the past there was a lot
> of point of maintaining a stable anaconda since it would have little use.
> Doing that would take time away from work on the development version. So
> it didn't seem to be a good trade off.
>
> Nowadays I'd like to see that rethought. There is more emphasis on people
> doing custom spins (since livecd-creator makes it easy) and I think anaconda
> fixes for stable releases have a lot more value now than they did in the past.
> However, I am not sure what the resource situation is. The anaconda guys
> seem to have been doing a lot of scrambling to get ready for F11. And there
> appears to be a lot of work on anaconda being done for F12.

I would have thought that Anaconda should be designed so that it was
as Fedora distribution neutral as possible, with any special distribution
bits separated out. This aids maintenance, reliability etc etc ...
If that is/was the case then very little extra resources would be required
to keep a F11 anaconda maintained ...

Purely from a publicity viewpoint, the main feelings of a distribution
come from reviewers and initial users when they first install it. Their
views come from how easy and well the installation went. From this
perspective alone I think it should be a high priority to fix any core
Anaconda issues and "ship" an updated ISO release (say F11.1) ASAP.