Three kinds of packages

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 27 14:30:22 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 17:26:28 -0400,
>   Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>> I would just like to remind people that there are not two (Fedora and
>> non-free) kinds of package, but three, the totally free (Fedora), the
>> close source but legal (fglrx and similar vendor drivers), and the only
>> legal in the free world, restricted in fascist countries.
>
> Free for noncommercial use is also another important category. These
> aren't free enough for Fedora, but there are a number of these type
> in the rpmfusion nonfree repository.

Another good point. Just because some code isn't suitable for inclusion in
Fedora doesn't mean that you are breaking some law by installing it. In some
cases the code might actually be illegal, in others it means the license isn't
worded right and it's a religious matter.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>