LMV2 boot from another Volume Group?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Jul 27 17:44:47 UTC 2009

On 09-07-27 10:08:50, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:
> > I have two hard drives I want to boot from, each with its own LVM2
> > Volume Group.  I can boot from the one on the same drive as Grub,
> > but not from the other one.  Apparantly, only Logical Volumes from
> > the boot drive's Volume Group are detected before / is mounted
> > (something about"activation", perhaps?).  Googling only shows how
> > to detect Volume Groups and activate Logical Volumes after / is
> > mounted.  I can't find  any kernel LVM parameters that would affect

> > this (and I'd need the LVM stuff built-in to the kernel, not as a
> > module).
> >
> > Can Linux use a Volume Group that isn't on Grub's boot volume?
> >
> > Must I add a boot partition on the second disk and chainload to it?
> >
> What do you mean by boot from each drive? Are you talking about
> selecting what drive to boot from in the BIOS, or selecting what
> drive is / by setting the root=<something> in /boot/grub.conf?

Either way (with suitable changes to grub.conf).

> Second question - do the two VGs have different names?

Yes.

Even when the boot drive is set in the BIOS to be the drive containing
the Volume Group to use, VolGroup01, all Volume Groups are recognized,
and then VolGroup00's volumes are activated.  I see that nash has
started.  In the initrd, the nash script "init" contains the offending
settings.  I suppose I need to use mkinitrd to fix this, so that
VolGroup01 (and also VolGroup00 which contains the swap partition) is
activated.

(I'm baffled as to why `grep -rI nash .` in the unpacked initrd would
cause endless spew of RETURN characters into any active window, as if
from the keyboard, making the computer unusuable and also hard to
reboot.  "-rIl" spews something else, maybe spaces, not quite as hard
to reboot.)